Todays interview is with Australian children’s book author Melanie Schubert.
Melanie has made quite a splash with her first book release, utilizing some innovative new marketing techniques she shares in her interview today.
- Melanie won a competition and had her book published by New Wrinkle Publishing. The innovative team there did her illustrations as well as create a unique soundtrack for her book. Each chapter features unique music that can be played while reading the book aloud to children.
- In order to get initial reviews for her book, Melanie searched for small publishing houses via social media, and approached other reviewers on their list, asking them to review her book.
- She reached out to National Geographic Kids Magazine, and got an advertising space there.
- She sent 100 paperback copies out to reviewers to encourage more reviews.
- She printed 1000 sticker and stuck them all over Melbourne City where she lives, to help get the book attention.
- She printed “Bockles” (you have to read the book to know what that is!) and hid them around the city, and then let instagram followers know, creating a Bockle hunt! Whoever found nine bockles, photographed themselves and shared this on social media, received a free paperback copy of the book.
- She sent out the book to well thought out places, such as the Children’s Book Council of Australia, who then subsequently reviewed it.
- Melanie uses Instagram wisely for book promotion, boosting certain posts world-wide, and sharing genuine and authentic posts about the book, and her own journey with panic attacks and anxiety.
- You’ll hear all about this and much more in this episode.
Enjoy the show.